11.23.2010

Music

Today I am thankful for music and its power to inspire.

I drove to work this morning in Kevin's car, listening to "Stan" by Eminem. It had a decent rhythm, and I started off enjoying it. I got caught up in the lyrics and was even impressed by the creative liberty. Except it was incredibly depressing. I can't remember the last time a song took me so low. When I got to my office and ran into Lisa at the elevator, she stopped short and looked so worried: "Are you ok?" "Oh, yeah. Sorry. Just got wrapped up in the lyrics of a everything's-gone-wrong song."

Wow. Music is so powerful!

So I spent the afternoon with jazz in the background, keeping my spirits lifted and inspiring brief interludes between emails for dance with Eli.

Then I drove home to Country - good ol' hometown, kick your heels up, country. Gotta love a happy beat!

And tonight, to wrap up her night, I sang with Kate her favorite song: "Skidamarink" (which I just looked up on Wikipedia ~ neat! I am thankful for Wikipedia!) Singing that song inspires hugs and loves and bright, big smiles! Such great inspiration!!

Off to hum a tune! Tra-la-la!

[*I just remembered the last time music hit me low like that: every time I hear Darryl Worley's "Have you forgotten?" or Alan Jackson's "Where were you when the world stopped turning?"]

No comments:

Post a Comment