11.09.2010

Marriage

Today I am thankful for my marriage!!
Today is our 8 year wedding anniversary -- the day we celebrate our first step together on this fantastic journey! I am thankful that our marriage is joyful and steadfast! I am thankful that instead of our marriage being challenged, we love each other in every thing we do and, quite consequentially, we get to enjoy many, many of life's great and wonderful challenges! (*We have four kids, after all!)

I am thankful that our marriage is not defined by our daily routines or who unloaded the dishwasher (or didn't), who changed the last diaper (or didn't), who picked up the groceries last (or who forgot to), or who paid the bills this month and with what money. I am thankful that our marriage is defined by our commitment to tackle each of those tasks together - taking turns, supporting the other, getting it done - and enjoying each other and our moments together along the way.

For me, it really is about doing the small things so that we can live out our big dreams. For example, Kevin told me not to do the dishes tonight; said he'd do it. It was a sweet gesture, and I know he meant it with sincerity and generosity when he said it. He then - unexpectedly - went up to ease Kate's night struggle (she's been having night terrors). So I went over and finished up the dishes (the rest of the kids were in bed asleep already). I didn't have to. But I wanted to. I wanted to in part because I know that if he didn't do them like he promised, I'd be totally charged tomorrow and I'd probably end up doing them anyway, but begrudgingly and bitterly (the food's dried on by then - ick!). But the second part of the reason I did the dishes is that I realize it's not about who does what when. It's about team work. I knew that he also had to work from home tonight, and, after comforting Kate for over a half hour, I knew he really shouldn't be spending his time on dishes or he'd cut into his sleep or not get his work done as needed. On the other hand, my plan for the night included a pot of tea, blogging, and a book. I still have time for all of that - just maybe a little less reading. And my only tradeoff is that I can now sleep in peace, knowing the dishes are done and won't be waiting for me and Kevin's getting his work done, won't feel guilty at the sight of a full sink in the morning, and will be to bed sooner than later. Not a bad tradeoff.

I believe our marriage has resolve because of these types of acts: daily acts that make our marriage work and keep our journey bitter-free and open to love. I looked up marriage on Wikipedia: it's a legal contract, a social union. But to me, it's so much more than that. It's the opportunity to share joy, to experience love, to support another and to feel supported as you engage in living in the spirit of teamwork and unity and the joy that brought you together! Kevin and I married because we were committed to each other and to a future full of that opportunity. This is our journey, and I want it to be the best! So I try to always give him my very best. And he does the same for me. And I am so thankful for that quality in him. It's one of the many reasons I married him! (*I think he's sexy as hell, too, so there is that as well! ; )
Here's to giving it our best ~ always ~ so that we enjoy every step of this amazing journey we're on together!! Happy Anniversary, Kevin! I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment