1.21.2011

PB: Birthday Traditions

Do you have any special birthday traditions for your children?

I'd love to think so, but I'm not convinced that any of the activities are "traditions" yet per se because it varies by the kid and the year and by what else is going on in our lives. In fact, I've considered creating more "traditions," but I'm afraid it would create too much let down if I forgot or life just got too busy (like I had Eli 3 weeks before Collin's 6th birthday, and it was the least planned party he's ever had but lots of fun nonetheless!), but let's see:

1. On the day of their birth, the kids get to pick the day's meal plan - breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, favorite drink, favorite dessert. *We tweak it if necessary, depending on guests, parties, etc., and sometimes have those meals on the piggybacked days.

2. We, of course, always sing Happy Birthday! *I realized by the end of this post that I often wake my kids up by singing to them - or in Early-Bird Collin's case, he wakes me up, and I sing first thing. ; )

3. I love the party, and I love to do it up right! For their birthday, the kids get to pick the guest list for their parties and vote on the party plan. Collin has always picked a bigger crowd and a more abstract party plan (pirates, space, etc., which is very fun for me, and I get totally into it!), and Owen has picked bowling with a small crowd two years in a row (which is very nice for me, planning-wise). This will be Kate's first year providing input. So far she wants a princess theme and has a cute list of mostly girls! Yes, she's been planning for April 7 since about January 1. She'll be 3. What a diva.

4. On Collin's birth day we traditionally go to the Lynden Fair - not for his birthday necessarily, but it's something totally fun to go do on his special day!

5. We always hand-make a birthday banner/poster/sign for our family room or front porch! Kate painted Owen's this year!

6. The kids get to shop for their siblings birthdays and pick out one gift each (under $10). That results in some pretty good gift giving actually. Makes good sense to me that Collin would know better what Owen wants (or should want based on the trends!) than I!

7. I'm working to add in a photo slide show and a post for the kids birthdays, recapping their year in words or pictures. I recently did Owen's 5th year (he loved the slide show!), a note to Collin at Age 6, and a note to Kate at Age 2 1/2 (for her half-birthday). *Links to the right in "Favorite Moments Past."

What are your favorite birthday traditions?

*I was born at 7:54 a.m., and as a kid, my family celebrated with me every year at 7:54 a.m. They'd sing then; we'd do presents then some years. It was VERY special to me, and I loved that time - just fifteen minutes in the morning and my day was perfect! But then as I got older and my mom's work schedule changed, that tradition slipped away - and I was very sad. I still wish my mom would call every year at 7:54 a.m. (I should tell her. Mom, are you reading this?) Anyway, I'm sort of afraid of birthday "traditions" for this reason. I don't want to start something that I can't (or accidently don't) commit to continue - for all four kids - every year.

Makes me wonder: do my kids think there are traditions already in place? They must! Oh dear. Owen came up to me first thing the day before his birthday (which was the day of his party) and said, "Mom, you didn't wake me up and sing Happy Birthday!!" Great. Now I'll have to call every morning and wake them up on their birthdays for the rest of my life. Their spouses will LOVE me. *BTW - I did end up singing to Owen on the 16th AND on the 17th. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment