1.31.2011

Collin's First Run

Wow! I should have taken a picture because it was a fantastic sight! Collin and I hit the trails for his first run yesterday at 10 a.m. in the brisk 32 degree air, sunshine highlighting the path! It was gorgeous!! Plus, Collin wore his running shorts and sweatshirt with a pair of monkey pajama pants for long johns - excellent!

So we started out at the swim area of Lake Padden. I told Collin we'd aim to run one mile since the furthest he'd run consecutively in the past was only 1/2 a mile (at the All Comers Track Meets over the summer). We took off and chatted and settled into a nice pace. Totally relaxing and so super chill! He thought it was neat that everyone said hi to him and wished us good morning. I thought it was neat to watch the other runners and walkers - they LOVED seeing him on the trail! I loved seeing him too - he was calm yet focused, happy and talkative, and looked cute and sporty. Plus, he was running strong at only 6 years old!

After half a mile, I asked how he was doing, and he voted that we keep going to the play area. We quacked at the birds, talked about the books he's reading, enjoyed the warm sun and the chilly air. It was really awesome to run with my kiddo!

The play area marked 3/4 mile, and we turned and headed back. He finished the full mile and a half without even losing his breath, and we had a great time! When it was over, he "fainted" in the muddy grass!! *I, of course, gasped and choked out a "COLLIN!" Ick. All I could think was that he'd created more laundry, was going to get the car muddy, etc. Then I laughed and apologized for my first reaction. And he said:

Mom! I have to get muddy sometimes! It's a kid thing.

So true! Shame on my adult reaction! ; ) Now that you mention it, I think I'm due a mud bath, so count me in next time!

To see his pace and path, click Collin's First Run.

*Collin's stunt reminded me of a game day (I was maybe 8?) when the soccer field was especially water logged and muddy. We chased the ball around the field, slushing through the murk and kicking up grass and mud with each step. The ball hardly rolled ... it kind of skipped along. When the game was over, we were absolutely covered in cold, wet, mud. It must have been a mother's "clean car nightmare!" Then - to seal the deal - my whole team went "slip sliding" in the mud!! SO MUCH FUN!!! A whole group of us piled in the back of our Suburban afterwards, and my dad shuttled us home - muddy as could be. I have no idea if we won or lost that soccer game, but that afternoon is one of the best of my childhood memories!

I'll have to tuck that away for the boys this fall ... ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment