12.01.2011

Holiday Memories

I entered a contest at OnlineShoes.com, and the entry requirement was to write about your first holiday memory.  I thought I'd share this quick answer!


Some of my first holiday memories are of cutting down our tree, hanging ornaments, and driving around the neighborhood to check out Christmas lights. But some of my favorite memories include the year that we stayed home all Christmas Day, just our immediate family, and put together a 500-piece puzzle of a farmhouse and “millions” of cows, the year each and every one of my siblings and cousins received a Cabbage Patch Kid, the stuffed animal that was always sticking out of our stocking Christmas morning (or large and seated front of the tree!), and the couple years that my sister, brother and I “performed” "Twas the Night Before Christmas" on Christmas Eve for our parents, grandparents, aunt, and uncles! (I was always the narrator, and I honestly can't remember which was which ~ my brother and sister may have alternated being “the jolly ol’ elf" and being a reindeer!)


One of my most frustrating memories is of the year that Santa skipped present-wrapping and tucked each of our gifts inside a duffle bag each! I was dismayed to unzip the bag and find all of my gifts. The surprise and suspense was too short lived for this little girl that year!