5.19.2009

First Sunburn

After bath Sunday evening ...

Me: Ok, Collin, we need to apply aloe to your sunburn ~ really gently ~ now.
Collin: No!!
Me: I'll be super careful. If we don't take care of your skin with aloe and lotion, your sunburned skin might peel.
Collin: (stops moving, quiet, concerned, eyes nearly welling) Mom? I don't want my skin to break.
Me: Oh, Collin! Sunburned skin is just the top layer of skin, and it sometimes peels off. But it won't break or hurt ~ it just might itch a bit until it heals. We used sunscreen, and now we'll use aloe. I promise it will be ok.
Collin: Ok, do it.

Fast forward half hour as he's laying down for bed ...

Collin: Mom? I know what I know. And I know what you said. But ... will my skin really break? I don't want my skin to break. I need it to hold my body together until I get old.

Kate and Collin are soooo similar in nature! I have a picture on the wall in our playroom of Collin standing on a chair precariously in the backyard at this same age! Both at this age loved to climb everything ~ stairs, onto chairs/tables/couches/rocks/fire hydrants ~ you name it, they'd climb it! I love their adventurous "I'll try anything" spirit!

*Both Collin and Kate also love(d) to open all cupboards and drawers and to take everything out of them! They both enjoy taking things out and putting things in AND they both enjoy putting things in their "proper" places. **Owen was more of a stacker and not as concerned with "proper places" ~ more concerned with "doing what works."

Bathing Beauty (those are her sunglasses she's gnawing on with her toothless gums!)
Owen fell asleep, worn out from all the fun in the sun. I don't think he accounted for his little sis when he picked his nap location! Kate saw him as a "lying duck" and climbed right up on top of him ~ he IS the one who taught her to wrestle!
Kate and Katie R

1 comment: