11.07.2011

Thankful That Some Things Never Change

Last year I diligently posted every day of the month of November.  The result was fabulous!  A month of entries!  41 posts!  I shared, I laughed, I documented my kids ... but I was exhausted.  It may take mere moments for a short post, but the longer posts take time.  And I started each post after 10 p.m., - after bathtime, after the kids were in bed, after I'd shared 1:1 time with my hubby, and after the dishes were all loaded.  By months' end, I realized I was hitting the pillow closer to midnight each night, I didn't have the energy to get up in the a.m. and workout, the pile of books by my bed was untouched, and I was tired.

So this year, I'm taking a note from another organized mommy and trying another tactic:


And so today, the first Monday of November, I am thankful for my blog.  I am thankful that I spent the time - whenever I did - to write-up the memories I might otherwise forget and to share the laughter from our home.  As I was uploading Halloween this year, I went back and found Halloween over the years (see links on the right-hand side of the blog), and I melted in a sea of gush.  I was so happy to have so many photos all in one place and so accessible! I had forgotten that Collin once was a chicken and that Owen made a cute cowboy!  And one year I put Kate into 5 different costumes (here and here) ~ no wonder she didn't pick just one until the night before this year!  

Here's a few pics from October 2009 I pulled out of the archives while sailing on the Sea of Nostalgia:  

 I love Kate's ingenuity!   She had just climbed up to turn on/off the light!  And I love that she now has a very similar adidas skirt and top that she's wearing today in fact with those very same leg warmers!  How ironic!  
 This pic is SO Kate. A girly-girl -- playing with cars.  Two years later she still wears dresses and skirts every day (NEVER voluntarily puts on pants!) and although she loves her dolls and strollers, she'd play almost anything if it meant she could play with the boys.
I have to remind myself that these pictures were taken in 2009!   Just this past weekend, the kids were jumping off the slide and into pillows, wrestling in the living room, laughing with each other, playing with the cars ~ such great times!  


*This year, it was Eli climbing up on things!  His new trick:  pull all the cushions off the bench in front of the front window, climb up, and give shout-outs to any neighbors/dogs/birds passing by!  Very Collin-esque!



As I'm wrapping this post up, I'm realizing that the truth is that I'm "Thankful that Some Things Never Change" -- like legwarmers, playing with classic cars, precarious adventures, laughter ringing through my home!  I'm even thankful that I have so much to do as a busy wife/mom/etc that I don't have "enough" time to blog (but also thankful that - sometimes - I make some).