5.02.2010

Frog & Toad Visit Collin for the Weekend

Frog and Toad came home from Collin's school Friday and joined our family for a weekend of fun! Collin's task was to keep a log of their activities in Frog and Toad's Journal and then share their adventures with his class Monday morning at Circle Time! What fun!
Collin woke up Saturday morning, ready to tackle his task and begin the adventure! First, he wrote: "5.1.10 - We went downstairs to wake Frog and Toad. Then we had flies and watched cartoons. What adventures will we have today?"
Collin was the only kid to actually log in the journal; all the other entries had been done by kids' parents. I was so proud of his independent "I can do it!" attitude! The whole weekend seemed to be fueled with his pride and efforts to show Frog and Toad a GREAT time! (*I did have to translate his entries on the bottom of the page as many of the words were misspelled, but it was clear and well thought out! He did amazing!)

"Grandma and Grandpa came up from Seattle. I read them some of the Frog and Toad stories."
"Then we go to soccer!"
"After that, we played hockey in the street with my friends."
High Five, Toad!
Collin's reading skills have skyrocketed over the past month or two. He went from books with 10 short sentences with short, simple words to books with short chapters and increasingly more difficult words! By Saturday night, Collin had already completed one whole Frog and Toad Book. When he went to bed, he asked if he could start another. He was in bed with his book at 8:30 pm. At 10:00 pm when I walked by, he was still awake reading, having read almost the entire second book! I told him lights out (and he did); he was up again at 6:15 am and reading before the rest of us even stirred (obviously I was up, but that was only because I am pregnant and get leg cramps every hour or so and need to stretch my legs out).
"5.2.10 - I woke Frog and Toad up early. We read for a bit, and then we had watched a show and did some chores. I went bowling with Frog and Toad! I bowled my first strike ever without the bumpers!"
"It was really fun."
"We ate flies for dinner. It was a good day."

By the end of the weekend, Collin had read Frog and Toad adventures well over four hours and was so proud of his journaling accomplishment! He asked me to add in pictures (above), and he happily shared it with his class Monday morning! Way to go, Collin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment