2.23.2011

33 ~ Off and Running


Over the last month and a half, many people have asked if I was planning to get back into running distance again. Until last Tuesday, my answer was always "not yet." I was contemplating distance and even dreaming of a marathon, but my dreams were always of the future ~ like 2012.

With the turn of the year ~ to 2011 ~ I started working out and running regularly. I found a few running partners (Rebecca and Kristen), and I was up to running 5 mile routes 2-3 times a week, adding in hill climbs at least once a week.

Then last Tuesday, I had rented the tv series "Vampire Diaries" on DVD, and I was totally into the show. I was on the treadmill, and I ran through two episodes. Then I raced outside to run down our hill and back up -- total distance 9 miles, including some speed drill and elevation work. I was proud and felt great!

So fast forward to Friday's run with Kristen on the back trails of Lake Padden: K: "What are you doing for your birthday Sunday?" M: "Not really sure yet." K: "Well, you ran 9 miles Tuesday. Up for a half marathon Sunday?" M: "Uh - not sure if I could do it. Well, I suppose I could do it ... if I just looked at it as a fun run and follow the advice I gave my boys: just try to finish it." K: "Yes, you should run! Great! This will be so fun!"

I got home and told Kevin about the crazy idea. He said: "Well of course you can do it. When you're motivated about something, you always accomplish it." So I signed up.

The night before the race, Owen said to me: "Mom, just remember - you're only trying to finish the race. It's just for fun!" (We're prepping for the Running O' the Green 3.12.11, and he's been listening!) But then Collin said: "Just don't come in last. At least beat one person." Uh huh.

Oh the pressure! ; )

Kristen and I showed up in Birch Bay to find a beautiful course, clear blue skies, bright sunshine ... and a whole lot of Brrrr! It was 23 degrees outside at the start! So I may have taken off a little quick to warm up ... my Garmin told me I ran 6:39 min/mi at one point during the first mile (but I averaged 8:35 that mile).

The rest of the race was more steady each mile, but I realized - as I had after the Rock n Roll in 2009 - that I need to do some serious pace work. Although more consistent each mile (b/w 9:00 and 9:30 generally), I still varied quite a bit within each mile (jumping up and down b/w 8 to 10 min/mi pace). *I love having the Garmin tracking!! This will be so fun now that I'm training!

Did I just say that? Training?! In 2011? Yep!

A few weeks ago I posted some ideas about events. Here's the tentative plans: *=Kid Event


*Running O' the Green - 2 miles with Collin, Owen, and my Dad Steve (Kevin will join us if he can - shoulder injury; Kate and E may ride in the stroller!) - March 12 (Bellingham)
Mt. Si Relay - 2 Legs, approx. 12 miles total - April 10 (Snoqualmie)
San Juan 10K or Half Marathon - June 5 (San Juan Island) or
Discovery Half Marathon - June 5 (Sequim to Port Angeles)
Warrior Dash - 3.55 miles + obstacles! - July 16 (North Bend)
Waterfront 15K - September 10 (Bellingham)
Portland Marathon - October 9 (Portland, OR)

In the end Sunday, I ran 13.1 unexpected and unanticipated miles in 2:02 hours, an average of 9:18 min/mile, just 7 months after a c-section, just 7 weeks after resuming regular exercise, and just minutes after I turned 33 years old! It was an excellent run, and I had SO much fun! I am so glad Kristen, Kevin and my kids encouraged me to run the Birch Bay 1/2 Marathon!

Hello, Distance? It's me - Jenny. I'm Back!

1 comment:

  1. Oops, you will have to cancel the 15k in Sept. You will be at your brothers wedding.
    LJ

    ReplyDelete