7.23.2010

Things I Want to Remember

Kevin and I at 37 Weeks

Owen has asked for months to know: "Is the baby coming today? Is tomorrow the time you'll be in the hospital and get cut open so the doctor can take the baby out?" Today was finally the day! He told everyone he saw that "our baby" is coming tomorrow! He was giddy at bedtime, full of smiles and excitement! He can't WAIT to see that baby! And he went to sleep a very happy big brother. And then he woke about an hour and a half later in a night terror, freaking out that he wanted to see Mommy and "____" and was Mommy ok. (He is always still asleep when he wakes in night terrors, and he didn't even comprehend that I was the one he was speaking to and who was holding him tight.) He was shivering and sweaty and freezing all that the same time, and his teeth were chattering. Once he calmed down, Owen slept with me the rest of the night.

Nesting is a true thing indeed. Everyone has things they need to do to "prepare" for a baby's arrival. For example, I have a crazy need to update all the pictures around my house - and by update, I mean, hang more! Last night (as I'm running through the list of what needs to be done before I pass out and we head off to the hospital) [Note that I never did pass out like I thought I would], we hung up frames of nearly 50 new photos (obviously some in collages). So silly!! I didn't even care if they were hung perfectly; I just wanted them up on the walls so we could enjoy them! Check!

I've also been fanatical about the laundry the past week, keeping up on it and keeping closets neat and organized. I purged the maternity wear and have it bagged to go ~ thank goodness I can pass them off or return them and NOT save any this time! My closet feels almost empty! What else? Between Kevin and I, our pantry and fridge have been cleaned multiple times the last two weeks! Kevin's sorted through the garage at least twice. Last night, he straightened up the yard and raked the sandbox.

Collin's preparation wasn't really "nesting," but it was indeed the essence of Collin. A few days ago, he said to me, "Mom, will you make me a hair appointment? I really need to get a haircut before I meet '______'." And so, even though he wasn't quite to the point that he really needed a cut, Collin got a haircut yesterday! He looks so handsome and grown up! Afterall, first impressions are everything when you're forming a brotherhood bond! *Remember that when Kate arrived, he was timid and curious and shy and spent the first few weeks "getting to know her" ~ and then once he felt they'd crossed that bridge together, he's never looked back and has been her teacher, her friend, her big, big brother, and he loves her something fierce!

I want to remember that the baby moved all night tonight - kicking and prodding - and I wasn't bugged. I enjoyed it! He's so big in there now! I love the feel of him inside me, and I know that I will miss it. So bitter sweet!

I had contractions all night, and every 15 minutes I got up to pee, convinced my water was going to break - or perhaps willing it to break so I could actually go into labor before the c-section. Just for fun. ; ) So far, it's 5:07 a.m. I have contractions but no water explosion or steady leak. Guess we'll make it to the hospital just fine. We leave in less than 2 hours.

I haven't slept a wink all night. I am extremely saddened by this because I want to be awake to remember EVERYthing tomorrow. I won't want to sleep then! But maybe this time is just as important for me to enjoy. And adrenaline will keep me going tomorrow for as long as I need. At that point, baby and I will sleep together.

Kate seems to know there's big changes underway. She has had insomnia herself tonight. She's currently sprawled out beside Owen in my bed as I type, finally resting peacefully. Hope the adrenaline keeps her going tomorrow too! ; )

Speaking of Kate, she knows "there's a baby in your belly" and the name we call the baby and that we've told her she'll be a big sister and that it's a baby brother and that that crib she used to sleep in in now baby brother's crib. I have no idea how much of it she conceptualizes. But I know she loves what it's meant for her closet! To add the baby's clothes and blankets to the closet, I did lots of shifting and now Kate can reach all of her clothes. She chooses all of her own outfits now, and she's loving it! Also she did find a binkie I'd pulled out and put on the crib. She never really took to one as a baby herself, but she had that binkie in her mouth tonight for hours (not necessarily sucking on it; more like teething it - but still). Hope that's not a "problem."

I really better try to sleep again. I have an hour and a half before we leave for the hospital. Silly me. Next time I post, we'll be a family of six! Holy wow!!!! Cheers!



2 comments:

  1. Natalie2:23 PM

    Oh Jen I am so excited to meet the little guy! Your family is so wonderful and you are an amazing mama! I will be thinking about you today and I hope your adrenaline keeps you going! Can't wait to meet him!
    Love,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you wrote and what a great way to remember everything before your little guy was born into this world. I don't know if it is because I am a mama now or just hormonal, but your posting brought tears to my eyes (happy ones of course). I hope you are enjoying your little man and getting the rest that you need! Can't wait to see pictures :D

    ReplyDelete