5.28.2008

Great Story

Some time around Kate's one-month birthday, Collin was talking to Kate when she tried to talk back. I said to him, "Oh, Collin! Did you hear that?! Wow! She loves you so much!!" And he said, "How do you know, Mommy? She's still checking me out ... getting to know me."

And it hit me. I had certainly noticed that he was more cautious around Kate than Owen. He hadn't wanted to hold her (except on the very first day), hadn't wanted to be in pictures with her (at least not posed ones), and didn't introduce her to all his friends at Blossom or in the neighborhood (Owen was bursting to share "his baby."). And I had wondered why. ... He wasn't bitter or jealous or resentful at all; he just didn't seem to share in the "big fuss" over our new baby. Still, I didn't push or even comment because when things were quite, he approached her often, and he was sweet and had a piqued curiosity.

Turned out, Collin was "getting to know" her.

Fast forward two weeks. Kate is six weeks old. As Collin is entertaining Kate one night, he starts singing her a song. I listen with a smile. The boys love to sing to Kate. Usually Collin sings "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," and Owen sings "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep." It is so cute to hear Collin's voice as he sings to her because it's always in a super high-pitch. ... Then I realize Collin is singing her a song (made up, of course) about family, telling Katelyn about her own family! "There's Mommy and Daddy. and Owen and Collin. and you - Baby Kate. We're A fam-i-ly!" Collin included her in his family picture. Tears filled my eyes as I watched them. realized just how lucky we all truly are to have each other ~ to love and be loved, sharing the bond of family.

Not coincidently, that night, when we tucked into bed, Collin told Kate he loved her - for the first time out loud.

And so it happened. Collin got to know his sister and joined in the "big fuss." He began asking to hold his sister, volunteering to calm her when she cried, and talking about her to others. : )

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:47 AM

    Oh, sniff....I can't tell you how much I ADORE your blog!!! You have been blessed with such a beautiful family, and Jenny you are a wonderful writer. Your children will enjoy these posts so much when they are older (meaning much older because teenagers dont much appreciate being talked about...lol) Keep it up, its one of the highlights of my morning ritual! Love You guys...xoxo
    Aunt Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:25 PM

    Seriously people, I don't like getting teary-eyed at work! I need to start reading these blogs at night.
    This is SO cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete