1.29.2007

Hitting the Pavement - - Literally

The first rays of sunshine, promising that spring can't be THAT far away, shone down on us this weekend, and the whole neighborhood hit the streets in excitment! After a winter indoors, the escape outside created quite the buzz for the kidlets in us all. For Collin, however, playing outside has a whole new meaning this year because he's a biker now! I know I say it a lot, but there is really nothing like watching the glee on a young child's face when he lights up with a sense of accomplishment and independence! Watching Collin take off on his bike was truly exhilerating for me! His little legs went around and around ~ so fast! He literally took off down the sidewalk, and Owen and I were left (walking) in his dust. His confidence soaring and his skills honed, he and Brennen went racing down Brennen's driveway, making a sharp turn to the right at the end to avoid doom down the hill. He did great! And had a great time!Owen totally got into it too ~ as you can see from his facial expression as he watched the big boys come full throttle down the driveway:
We were outside in the morning, after naps, and then again after dinner. Free time spelled "bike time" to Collin this weekend. So it should come as no surprise that it also spelled "first spill." He took it like a champ, while mommy dropped her camera and went running in a slight panic! : )

We were on our way home around our cul-de-sac so that he had to go downhill to get to our house. Collin knows to ride on the sidewalk, stop for us to catch up, and turn into the grass whenever he gets going too fast. THANK GOODNESS! Just as we had "caught up" to him at th "top of the hill," he decided to get going again ... down the hill without me ... and he got going pretty darn fast! I let out a "Collin!!!", started running (with Owen in my arms) and thought I was going to be picking Collin up, dusting off gravel and mending many scrapes and bruises. But, big boy that he is, when he knew he was starting to lose control, Collin turned into our grass. Unfortunately, he turned a bit too sharply and at a pretty good rate of speed, and he and the bike went tumbling over!! He hit the grass and slid; the bike landed on top of him. BUT when I picked the bike off of him, he stood up with a grin!! "I went FAST! And I, I, I go in the grass, and I tipped over, Mommy!!!" What a boy! The neighbors outside were clapping and cheering him on for a fall well done.

Owen thinks he's ready to hit the road too, and is looking for a bike in his size (shopping at the neighbor's):

No comments:

Post a Comment