6.30.2009

I Rocked Seattle!

I ran my first marathon! I did it!! 26.2 miles. 4 hours + 20 minutes. (9:57/min average pace)
Stats: 25,000 runners signed up for the inaugural Rock N Roll Seattle Marathon and 1/2 Marathon.
  • 5,618 runners participated in the Marathon, and I crossed the finish line before 3,515 of them.
  • Of 3,067 females, I came in 815th.
  • In my age group, I crossed 165th (not sure out of how many).
  • Miles 2-13 were my favorite miles. A bald eagle soared over me as I ran along Lake Washington at Mile 5 or 6.
  • I paced at a 9:29 minute/mile for 13 miles (1/2 Marathon).
  • I thought I was going to throw up on Mile 15. The cramps went away in the 16th mile.
  • I actually ate a salt pack at Mile 17 - gross.
  • I dumped water on my head at every water station - felt so good!
  • It was in nearly 80 degrees by the end of the race!
  • I realized that I don't really like GU at all. (In the cooler weather, I didn't mind it at all.)
  • Mile marker 24.5 was the highlight of my race. It carried me Mile 20-24, and I nearly hyperventilated with emotion when I saw my family cheering me on! I passed by, waving incredulously while trying to take deep breaths and not cry, then rounded the corner, composed myself and had a glass of water, and went by on the loop back with renewed enthusiasm and high fives for my kids! What an awesome moment!
  • Mile marker 26.0 (Jacqui & Chris!) and 26.1 (Marty & Dave) brought surprise supports!
  • My first words to Jacqui afterwords: That was the hardest thing I have ever done, and I will never do that again!! By 5 p.m., I was calling my running coach and asking how long I needed to wait before tackling the challenge again! Crazy!!!
Thanks to everyone ~ especially my family who supported my training and my race and cheers me on every day!

If you want to watch me cross the finish line, you can go to this site. I wore bib #18226.To see the above pics in larger format, go to this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment