10.29.2008

Four

Collin cracks me up. Not because he's a joker, but because he can state the obvious and point out the reality in such a simple way that it's comical! He contemplates the world around him, questions everything, looks at all angles, and remembers everything! He has tons of fun - and in its midst, he's constantly taking opportunity to learn. When I see a pumpkin, I see an orange, round, vegetable. Collin also sees an orange, round vegetable, but immediately notes that it does not have chlorphyll, has an orange pigment, is a sign that it's autum, and can be carved into a Jack-o-Latern.

Collin loves to be outdoors ~ he loves riding his bike, running around, climbing things. He recently saw G&G J's backyard and attempted to cover the entire yard, inch by inch, with leaves - then he pulled them into a pile for jumping! What boyhood fun! He's also driven for success. Satisfied that he'd learned to shoot hoops from our front door to the hoop, Collin is now tackling the shots one step up the stairs at a time. He can only move up another step if he's shot three from the lower step. He's up to step 4. : )
Owen is Collin's best friend. He absolutely loves to spend time with his brother, and fortunately has had lots of opportunity since Owen graduated to the Transition Preschool class because Collin is also a natural leader. Collin is a teacher's assistant in Owen's class about once a week, where he gets to lead "Circle Time," reading the kids a story (hilarious since it's all by Collin's memory or imagination), leading the kids in song, or encouraging physical activity such as through "Simon Says." He's also been allowed to lead them in crafts and "tutor" them in sign language and independent skills, such as buttoning their shirts, putting on their shoes, etc. The teachers are thrilled with his participation ~ especially because he loves it! He tells me about it every night! And what he loves even more than the opportunity to "be in charge" as he puts it, is when the kids learn or follow his directions! "Mommy, Owen's potty training now!" "Mommy, I taught Owen how to put his shoes on the right feet, and he's DOING it!" "Mommy, I told him to use his good words, and he did so I gave it to him!" "Mommy, I showed Owen the sign for ___ and he knows it now!" "Mommy, Owen's making good choices!!" "Isn't that GREAT!?!" ; )
Collin spent his first four years scribbling and drawing circles and lines. Then he turned four, and his skill multiplied! Above: Crab (without something to copy or instruct him) Below: Horse (with the help of a step-by-step drawing book)The pic above features a lion, the horse, a parrot, a whale, and Collin's name backwards 9/08.

Collin and I are participating in a reading program, designed to test kids' comprehension and listening skills. After each page, I ask him one or two questions specific to the content of the page. I am shocked by how well he responds. I often diverge into many more questions and open discussion with him because he's calculated the story and applied it to his own life.

For example, two days ago we read "Today I Feel Silly." There was a line where the narrator says something about his family being weird (Mom dyed her hair orange; dad shaved his beard.") So we started talking about weird things. Then I asked, Do you think our family is weird [stupid question!]: "Well, I love daddy, but you're kinda weird." [Oh, Come On!!] Then Kate, who was with us, started sucking on Collin's toe (which made him laugh hysterically!) and he said, "Actually, Kate is weird too! And I kinda love weird too!" [LOL - I kinda love weird, too, Collin!]

Then there was a page about feeling lonely, and I asked, Do you ever feel lonely? Collin: "Well, sometimes, but not really. I have my Katie and Owie - they are my buddies."

What makes you happy? "Playing with Kate [who had just tried to eat his toe, you'll remember] and helping with jobs."

What makes you grumpy? "When I can't do something." Like when it's too hard? "No, that I can do. (pause) Like when you say I can't play Wii. But I'm learning to be patient, Mommy, and say 'maybe later.'"

One thing I am amazed at is that Collin hardly ever answers anything with just a yes or a no. He thinks everything through and he explains it to you in a followup sentence.

Another fun thing is hearing Collin's mathematical analysis emerge. For example, when I told him that there were six pieces of sausage and asked how many he could have, he said - without hesitation - "Owen can have three, and I'll have three." (Note that he was not looking at the sausages; he did the division in his head.) Owen: "No, I want four!" Collin (matter of factly): "Then I'd only have two. So you can have three."

Like I said, simple. Comical! I love you, Collin!!

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet memories.

    Although I have to admit, when I saw the title "four", I instantly thought you were going to make an announcement... ;)

    ReplyDelete