8.06.2008

On the Move

She's rolling! Sunday Kate started rolling across her blanket, traversing maybe a foot or two. Monday she started rolling towards toys. By today, she had mastered rolling across a room floor, around chairs, under tables and benches, etc. Activity gyms are useless this week because once she's laid on the ground, she's off! She prefers rolling to her tummy so she can see and scoot. Yep, scoot. She's turning, she's scooting, she's moving. No joke. Four months tomorrow.

I just looked in on her in her bed, and it was the first time I'd walked in and she wasn't asleep in essentially the same place I'd laid her. Instead, she had turned her whole body 90 degrees, had a toe poking through the crib bar, and had rolled to her tummy. She was zonked and comfy ~ and she'd gotten that way all on her own.

I got a tad emotional. My baby is already losing her "baby-ness." Collin flipped over at 3 months like Kate, but Owen didn't really (consistently) until he was 5 months. Neither rolled. In fact, neither boy really moved outside the radius of their flip-flop until they started crawling and cruising around 8 months. Kate's movements are astounding me! I am blown away watching her, and she is so proud! Big dimpled-grin from ear to ear each time she reaches her destination and we acknowledge her success!

Speaking of growing (mommy) pains, Kate's maturing daily! She's now pausing during feeds to lift her head and check the scene when she hears good distractions. And oh, is she a social butterfly! Except - again a sign that she's losing her "babyness" - she's beginning to show emotional signs of attachment and crying when she's not being held by those she knows best (a toughie for a mom who asks colleagues to watch her baby in the hallways during court hearings ~ this week I had to argue a motion while Kate cried her lungs out in the hall, knowing that if I walked out there, I could make everything ok. *As soon as the Commissioner made her ruling and before the order was passed and signed, I darted for the hall and Kate joined me in the courtroom happily, cooing for the record.)

Kate was singing in the back of the van on the way to work this morning. I kid you not. Collin heard it too. She sang (to Country music!) nearly 15 minutes. It was adorable and hilarious!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:25 AM

    What a sweetie, wish I could have met her, but we will be home again eventually. I love hearing about all the developments, what fun to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noah started "socializing" while nursing at that exact age...and hasn't stopped! At times I have to demand that everyone around me be still and quiet just so Noah can get a full meal. :)

    ReplyDelete