8.14.2007

Collin's Baby

At 5 weeks, Collin's baby is thriving! Collin shows his belly to me each morning within moments of waking me up and reports that the baby inside is getting "bigger and bigger and biggest ~ bigger than Baby Sawyer" every day.

*Baby Sawyer is the neighbor baby due to join the world any day ~ you can imagine that his mommy's belly (Katie's belly) is much bigger than Collin's or mine, but Collin has very high expectations for his "baby."

Collin has a remarkable connection with his baby, and he is acutely aware of when his baby is awake, asleep, resting, or moving. At random moments, he will suddenly report, "My baby is tired now. It's going to go to sleep." Or "My baby is moving. It makes my tummy feel funny."

Yesterday, interestingly, the baby was thirsty so it hopped out of Collin's belly, got a drink, and hopped back in. (Bet Katie wishes Baby Sawyer would do that!)

Disturbingly, the baby died this morning. It was the first time I've ever heard Collin even say the word "died" or any word even associated with death. I am not even certain what his understanding of death is as he has not, to the best of my knowledge, experienced any death. But I can assure you that within 10 seconds, his baby was healthy and very much "alive" in his belly again. Hmmm ...

Stay tuned for more of Collin's pregnancy journal as the weeks continue! : )

BTW ~ I'm feeling great. I'm tired and wake up "hung over" each morning ~ it takes me a good hour minimum to shake it ~ but this is over-shadowed at the moment with "honeymoon"-like emotional responses. I am filled this week with a wonderful sense of peace and contentment. We received our first Baby gift for the tamale-to-be, and it all became so wonderful and whimsical and dreamy to me. I may never feel this way again as I know we will have our "hands full" (a terms everyone tends to throw out so often) so I am relishing in this feeling and loving this moment. Hopefully this pregnancy, and the future, will be filled with many similar moments, but for now, I'm enjoying this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment